What if I told you that in 2012 Terry Francona would be managing the Seattle Mariners with Derek Jeter, David Ortiz, and the wily veteran Mike Mussina leading the rotation. Seems very far fetched. But if you told someone in 2002 that Joe Torre would be managing Manny Ramirez, and it wouldn’t be in New York, someone would of thought you were smoking the hashish.
Lets look at some wacky things in 2008 to show you why the world may be coming to an end…
1. Joe Torre manages a west coast team with Nomar Garciaparra, Derek Lowe and Manny Ramirez as some of their essential players (Nomar on DL, but he still has such a cool name).
2. After twenty years, Corey Feldman and Corey Haim have one of the most popular televison shows today.
3. Home Improvement and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air are actually on Nick at Nite (don’t they seem like new shows maybe a year ago?).
4. In 1996 Sports Illustrated released an article saying Hockey would surpass the NBA in popularity. Now the NHL is on the home shopping network.
5. Parachute pants are no longer popular (MONSTERS).
6. Brett Favre was close to playing for a team not called the Packers.
7. Manny Ramirez plans to wear 99 to honor Wayne Gretzky (no that’s not a joke).
8. People eat organic Doritos because they think its good for them.
9. Blogging is so in.
10. Justin Timberlake is the most popular person in the world, and no one seems to debate it and the weird thing is everybody likes him. Guy was just singing for N’ SYNC, did we think 5 years later we would love him more than George Bush (George Bush, great president or the greatest?).